Introducing Rovos Rail, the most luxurious train in the world. Since its inception in 1989, Rovos Rail has earned an international reputation for world-class travel experiences. Its collection of bespoke journeys link some of South Africa’s greatest destinations while the array of off-train excursions allow for even deeper exploration.
A timeline of Rovos Rail’s history
“As so often happens, it was a combination of influences and events that led to the purchase of the first coach, the start of what would become Rovos Rail. A Wilbur Smith heroine with her own private railway coach, a man called Phil Acutt with a passion for trains and the presence of the Witbank Steam Railway in the coal-mining town where Rohan Vos ran his successful auto spares business, all played a part.”
Life on board
Rovos Rail has seven locomotives all of which have accommodation carriages, dining cars, a lounge car, a small gift shop, a smoking lounge and an observation car with an open-air balcony.
There are three suite categories to choose from; Pullman, Deluxe and Royal - each offers passengers privacy and comfort with double or twin beds and fittings and facilities that are of the highest standard. Every suite has an en-suite, tea making facilities, air conditioning and adequate storage.
A team of talented chefs are responsible for ensuring guests’ every need is catered for. Fresh local ingredients and traditional dishes are a speciality. Meals are served in one sitting in the dining cars and are complemented by a selection of fine South African wines. The dining cars have tables of two and tables of four and guests can dine together or individually.
Rovos Rail offers nine inspirational journeys across South Africa:
- Cape Town: Rediscover the old pioneering trail of the Karoo on this 3-day journey.
- Durban Safari: Venture into the heart of the South African bushveld on this 3-day safari.
- Victoria Falls: A 4/5-day meander to see one of the natural wonders of the world.
- Golf Safari: An exciting 9/10-day kaleidoscope of golf and scenic beauty (and non-golfing!)
- African Collage: A 9/10-day tapestry of landscape, game, history and culture covering South Africa.
- Namibia Safari: Explore untamed deserts and the wild Atlantic on this 9-10-day safari.
- Dar es Salaam: Embark on this epic 15-day voyage across Southern Africa.
- Trail of Two Oceans: A pioneering 15-day east-west African adventure.
- Copper Trail: 15 days uniting a natural wonder of the world with the famous copper trail.
For further details on each journey, click here.